1ST OPTICS ANNUAL REPORT RELEASED
The first annual report of OPTICS project, “State-of-the-art in safety research”, has just been released.
This document presents the state-of-the-art of aviation safety research as arises from the main activities conducted in the first year of OPTICS:
- The evaluation of projects of the European Commission’s 7th Framework Program (FP7) which have improvement of aviation safety as primary objective;
- The conduction of the first OPTICS Expert Workshop, organised at EUROCONTROL premises in Brussels on 3 July 2014, which focused on priorities in Human Factors research and innovation for aviation safety.
This document also provides strategic recommendations for reaching the ACARE safety related goals, which are summarised as follows:
- The aviation safety research community and the EC are recommended to take account of the identified potential gaps, being aware that the true gaps may only appear after completion of the OPTICS assessment in following years.
- The aviation safety & Human Factors research community and the EC are recommended to address the potential gaps related to Human Factors.
- The aviation safety research community, the industry and the EC are recommended to take account of the identified bottlenecks in the adoption of research results.
- ACARE is recommended to address the feedback on the SRIA.
The activities conducted in the first year of OPTICS have given a realistic initial picture of the aviation safety R&I progress, and have also highlighted potential gaps in research and a number of bottlenecks in the adoption of research results.
To find out more on the state-of-the-art in aviation safety research, you can click here to read the report.